Maritime society new owner of first Long Island lighthouse

Oct 14th, 2010 | By | Category: Long Island Sound

In 1760, a 64-foot stone tower with a wooden lantern was built on the spot, funded with proceeds from New London lottery tickets, according Sprecace. It was the first lighthouse in Long Island Sound, the oldest in Connecticut and the fourth oldest in North America. From atop the 89-foot-tall New London Harbor Light on Pequot Avenue, six other lighthouses can be seen. The U.S. government has transferred ownership of the lighthouse to the New London Maritime Society.

via The Day – Maritime society new owner of NL landmark | News from southeastern Connecticut.

Be Sociable, Share!
Tags: ,

Leave a Comment