Long Lane Property Travels a Long, Winding Road Toward Rehabilitaiton

Oct 7th, 2014 | By | Category: General

Far on the edge of campus, past the solemn stones of Indian Hill and the raucous houses of Fountain, under the plastic green of Smith Field and the brick walls of the Cady Building, the soil has shifted. A large remediation program is currently underway on the two parcels of land divided by Long Lane Road, the site of a former correctional school. The facility, named the Connecticut Industrial School for Girls, was founded in 1870 as a reform facility for girls. The school was privately owned until 1921, when ownership transferred to the State of Connecticut. The school was home to its own coal-burning power station and an orchard (treated with pesticides), both of which resulted in heavy pollution on school grounds.

For more on this story, visit: The Wesleyan Argus | Long Lane Property Travels a Long, Winding Road Toward Rehabilitaiton.

Be Sociable, Share!
Tags: , , ,

Leave a Comment